This message is from the Club President to all club members.
In line with the NZ Government attempts to slow the spread of the Covid-19 virus, both Tennis NZ and Tennis Northern have this afternoon issued updated instructions, which can be viewed HERE
The significant implications for WGP Tennis Club are as follows:
All club organised tennis activity is cancelled from Friday 20 March to Saturday 2 May inclusive.
Specifically these activities are cancelled;
- All senior interclub games.
- Midweek Ladies interclub
- Wednesday club nights and Sunday club days
- Midweek Ladies club days
- Tennis Aerobics sessions with Ken
- All junior interclub games
- All Hot Shot / Teen Tennis sessions for the remainder of the term.
- All junior interclub training sessions
- Junior Cool’or tournament on Saturday 21 March.
- Junior prize giving on 4th April.
- Junior school holiday programme on 14th to 17th April
The tennis courts themselves remain open and the gates to gain access remain unlocked. This allows for club members to arrange their own social games should they so wish, practising social distancing. However, club members must use their own equipment ( bring their own tennis balls).
The clubhouse will not be open during this period, as club organised tennis activities have been cancelled.
However, the clubhouse can be open when:
- a key holder is amongst a small group of players who have arranged a social game.
- one of the club coaches has a private client.
In both these circumstances the bathrooms and / or bar can be accessed with the key holder responsible for maintenance of hygiene standards.
This restricted clubhouse access helps negate the onerous cleaning regime necessitated by Covid-19 and reduces infection risk.
Both I and your Tennis Club Committee ( who have been fully consulted) appreciate these measures will be unpalatable to our enthusiastic band of tennis club members.
That said, we are complying with the latest instructions and it is important that the club takes a vigilant approach and does all it can to limit the spread of this virus.
Your understanding is appreciated – and we will keep you posted of any changes in arrangements as they become known.
WGP Tennis Club President